Paid Outreach Opportunity: Science Week Counselors
Paid Outreach Opportunity: Science Week Counselors (6 Positions)
2022 SUNY ESF Summer Science Week at the MOST
SUNY ESF Summer Science Week is an outdoor scientific learning experience where local scientists, engineers, professors and students work with middle school participants (current 8th grade graduates) as they learn about sustainability in both natural and built environments in their community.
To provide a unique hands-on learning experience for 8th grade students that will inspire them to learn more about science and to pursue careers in science and engineering.
Rate of Pay and Work Schedule:
Lead Counselor: One position @ Stipend of $3,900
FT (35 hours/week) temporary position (June 27 – July 29, 2022)
Science Counselor: Five positions @ Stipend of $2,700
Starting June 27 averaging 15-20 hours/week until the week of camp (July 25) which will be over 40 hours. Approx. 180 hours total for each science counselor. Ends July 29.
Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology (MOST), Syracuse, NY, and various field locations throughout the Onondaga Lake Watershed.
- Minimum age of 18
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in the supervision of children, preferably in a camp setting
- Have (or be willing to train in) CPR and first aid certification prior to Science Week
- Mature, conscientious, engaging, and enthusiastic
- Ability to manage group activities, emergencies, and conflicts
- Experience in the sciences or engineering at the college level (e.g. water quality, biology, geology, chemistry, physics or environmental sciences)
- Successfully satisfy background check, and professional character checks
- Good role model
- Be punctual for all responsibilities
- Monitor the actions, behavior and general wellbeing of student participants
- Assist in the preparation of manuals, materials and supplies to support the science camp
- Be familiar with all field trip sites and educational components covered at that location
- Plan and conduct science-related activities and team-building games
- Maintain a safe and respectful environment for participants at all times
- Assist students to critically assess their work, data collection, analysis and presentation
- Supervise students during program events
- Prep for each day and clean up activity room at the end of the day
- Other duties as assigned
Send your resume to Emily Stewart, MOST: 500 S Franklin St, Syracuse, NY 13202 or email@example.com.
For additional information call Dr. Stewart at (315) 425-9068 (ext: 2146).
Part-Time Science Educator
Part-time Science Educator needed for educational program delivery at the Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science & Technology (MOST) located in Syracuse, NY. Position starts at $17/hour for 21 hours per week (M-F AM, occasional weekend events).
- BA/BS in a STEM field or Education field
- Prior experience working in schools or informal learning environments
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective communication skills
- Microsoft Office competency
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
The MOST is committed to teamwork and collaboration. We recognize we are a part of a community and a key part of our success is helping others to reach theirs. We are respectful and supportive of one another. We lead and learn from each other in a culture of being present; connecting with transparency, dignity, and respect.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Science Educator Position.” Applications will be accepted until May 15, 2022.
Please send a resume or questions to email@example.com.