CNY Regional VEX IQ Robotics Challenge
Beginning January 7th we will make a practice field with game elements available in the museum for use by registered teams. The MOST will waive museum admission for registered teams who wish to utilize the practice field during museum hours.
The VEX IQ challenge uses a VEX IQ Robotics kit that was designed to be simple and easy for students as young as 8 years old to use. Structural pieces snap together and come apart without tools, allowing for quick build times and easy modifications.
Each year’s challenge is different and requires teams to work together to accomplish a task with robots that each team built and programmed. Below are details for participants:
- VEX IQ Robotics is for students in grades four through eight
- Teams must consist of between two and six students
- Competition is limited to 40 teams
- Each team member must bring a completed Participant Consent Form on the day of the event
- VEX IQ offers a sheet with tips to prepare for the CNY Regional VEX IQ Robotics Challenge
- Teams can also enter the STEM research project competition. This year’s topic is robotic technology in the community.
- Teams must use VEX IQ robotics kits materials:
- No materials outside VEX IQ products can be used on your robot. Upgrade products available from VEX are acceptable.
- This year’s competition is called Next Level. You can download a game manual with information and watch a video on the challenge.
- Use the Robot Inspection Checklist before arriving at the competition to ensure your robot will pass inspection.
- REGISTER TODAY
- Sign up on the main webpage linked above. Click on “Register” in the upper right corner.
- 2020 Registration Deadline TBD
- The winners of the following three awards from this regional competition will be reimbursed by the MOST for transportation expenses to compete in the New York State finals:
- The Excellence Award is presented to a team that exemplifies overall excellence in creating a high quality VEX IQ robot.
- The Teamwork Champion Award is presented to each of the two teams on the highest-scoring alliance in the Teamwork Challenge finals.
- The Robot Skills Champion Award is presented to the team with the highest combined Programming Skills Challenge and Driving Skills Challenge score.
Additional Awards include:
- The Teamwork Second Place Award will go to the two teams on the second-highest scoring alliance in the Teamwork Challenge finals.
- The Design Award recipient demonstrates the ability to implement the most effective and efficient robot design process. Only teams that submit engineering notebooks are eligible for the Design Award.
- The STEM Research Project Award is given to the team that makes the most effective STEM Research Project presentation.
- The Judges Award is presented to a team that the Judges determine is deserving of special recognition.
- The Amaze Award is given to the team that build an amazing, high-scoring robot that clearly demonstrates overall quality.
- The Create Award is presented to the team whose robot design incorporates a creative engineering solution to the design challenges of the season’s game.
- The Energy Award is given to a team that displays a high level of enthusiasm and passion at the event.
- The Sportsmanship Award will go to a team that has earned the respect and admiration of the volunteers and other teams at the event.
- The Volunteer of the Year Award is presented to an event volunteer who demonstrates a commitment and devotion to their community.
Odds & Ends
- VEX IQ offers free curriculum guides that includes 12 instruction units
- The MOST will provide breakfast and a pizza lunch for participants at the event
- The cost for teams to register is $35
- Teams from the Syracuse City School District can apply for a waiver of the registration fee
- Participants, family members, and teachers who arrive before 10 a.m. can enter the Museum for FREE. Starting at 10 a.m., regular admission fees apply.
- In case of an emergency or snow cancellation, the event will be held the following day on Sunday, January 26, 2020.
For more information or to request a fee waiver, contact Peter Plumley.
Thank you to our sponsors: