CNY Rocket Team Challenge
The next Central New York Rocket Team Challenge will be held 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 3, 2017, at Syracuse University’s Skytop Office Park.
Middle and high school students build rockets from provided kits, detail them, and bring them to Skytop for launching. Teams are judged on the quality of their construction, knowledge of the subject, how well they estimated their trajectory, and whether or not their “eggstronaut” survived its ride into the sky.
Registration is closed except for teams bringing their own rockets. LINK HERE TO REGISTER!
Here are things participants need to know. Click on the headline to show the information.
- The competition is open to students in grades four through 12
- Teams must have at least four members and cannot have more than eight members
- All team members are expected to attend the launch on June 3, 2017
- The MOST supplies one rocket kit per team
- MATERIALS PICKUP IS SCHEDULED FOR 3 to 5 PM APRIL 20 and 27
- If you cannot pick up materials at either of those dates, you must make arrangements with event director Peter Plumley. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At the competition, each team will receive an engine, one “eggstronaut” (don’t drop it!), and a prepackaged amount of wadding to use in the rocket
- LINK HERE TO REGISTER!
- Registration is limited to two teams per grade level per school, with a maximum of six teams per school
- Schools can register additional teams above the limit if they reuse a rocket, purchase their own rocket kits, or use rocket kits they picked up in previous years but never used
- We have kits for 100 teams, 50 for graduator rockets and 50 for LOC IV rockets
- We will create a waiting list for additional teams from schools that have reached their maximum and teams that registered after 100 teams have signed up
- After May 1, any unclaimed rocket kits will be given to teams on the waiting list. Priority will be given to teams from schools or organizations with no other teams in the competition.
- If you have never participated in rockets before, you must contact event director Peter Plumley at email@example.com to obtain a website login
- Please complete all registration information, including the names and addresses of students participating
- REGISTRATION CLOSES MAY 19 or when all rocket kits have been distributed. There will be no extensions or late registration.
- Every participating student receives a Certificate of Participation
- The top four teams in each division – junior for students in grade four through eight and senior for high school students – receive a plaque and team members receive a medallion. The plaque should reside at the associated team school or organization.
- There are special awards given to the rockets that flew the highest, landed farthest and closest to the launch site, best team name, and more
- Participants are expected to remain for the awards ceremony
- Here are the winners from the 2016 event
Odds & Ends:
- The event is slated for June 3, 2017; rain date is June 4, 2017
- More information on building rockets and what happens on the day of the event will be available closer to the event
- Lunch will be available for purchase
Here are some downloadable documents that provide more information:
The launches are fun to watch and the general public is invited to attend this free event. If you have questions, contact event director Peter Plumley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to our sponsors: